Friday, January 9, 2009

Negotiations Have Begun

Every parent of a toddler knows that getting them to eat is a constant battle. I shouldn't say every, because I know there are a few fortunate souls out there. Well, it's a battle for me, anyway, every single stinking day. We've worked it out where I basically give Lauren whatever she wants for lunch (grilled cheese, nuggetts, mac & cheese) and she either eats what I cook for dinner or she gets nothing. She usually chooses nothing. But yesterday we had a breakthrough!!
She didn't want to eat any of the casserole that I made, which made me kind of bummed because it was just tater tot casserole. What 2 year old wouldn't want to eat tater tot casserole? Anyway, she didn't want to eat it, she wanted fruit snacks. So I told her that if she ate a bite she could have some. One bite, that's all. She kept says no, and that she wanted fruit snacks. Bryan, who is a big softy/pushover, wanted to give in, but I reminded him that we need to be consistant or she will never learn. She would put some in her mouth and then spit it out - I don't know if she thought that would get her a pass or what. After about 3 minutes of "negotiating" with her, she finally picked up the spoon, put some in her mouth, and swallowed. I was shocked!! It worked!! We are finally to the point of being able to maybe reason with the child! There is a small, tiny light at the end of this tunnell!

4 comments:

The Byers Family said...

Hopefully that small light isn't an oncoming train! LOL! Just kidding. If it makes you feel any better I used to make the girls eat several bites of whatever I made before I'd let them have 1/2 a pb and j for dinner! It worked! They'll eat anything now (I'm not so sure that's a good thing!)

Lindsay said...

Yea!! I totally understand. My kids take turns dragging out the meal. One will eat great, maybe even ask for seconds, & then leave the table to hit the toys full force while the other talks incessantly, whines, stares at their food, & comes up with every possible way to not eat. CRAZY!!! Go Lo!

Jennie-O said...

Oh man, that would be so hard. I'm sorry, but you're right, be consistent and she will eventually eat. I always say, if a kid is hungry he/she will eat!! Good luck

Holly Strong said...

YAY KIERSTI!! Keep at it, she will eventually keep trying new things and liking them. I am very fortunate to have kids that like most things. I have also learned that they go through "eating" phases, usually when they are gettnig ready to grow. I watch and when they start eating lots, I throw in new recipes and they generally will eat them. When they start refusing more often I know it's over and I wait a few months. hahaha BUT, I do have to say, my mom made tator tot casserole and my kids hated it. Someone brought one when we had Bennett and they loved it so I got the recipe. LOL We should swap recipes, it's nice sometimes for something new or different.